The Google Calendar integration is a powerful feature and should be used with caution and with respect to your companies’ security policies.
How to set it up
I. Create a specific door calendar in google calendar. The integration will unlock all events on that calendar, so it is highly recommended to keep calendars separate.
- Go to calendar.google.com
- Make sure you are logged in with your work email and not your private account
- On the left side click on “my calendar” and select “create new calendar”
- Give the new calendar a name you will recognize, e.g. “door timer main door”
- Create an event in the calendar, which will be the timeframe of your unlock timer. (Ex. - If you want your doors open during business hours, you will create an event in the calendar that runs Monday - Friday, 9am-5pm)
II. Log onto my.getkisi.com with the administrator credentials of your place
- Click on the place
- Go to settings / integrations
- Click on “add integration”
- Give it a name and select “google calendar unlock timer”
- Click “authorize with google” and use the same google credentials you have been using for the creation of the google calendar earlier, authorize
- After authorizing click on “Calendar name” and start typing the calendar name you gave your door unlock calendar. If authorized correctly it should show up in the results.
- Type in the door name, select the correct one and hit “save”
- “Integration created successfully” will be shown if you did everything correct.
III. While the unlock is active you’ll see a green unlock icon in the locks view
- Also it will create an event in the events log
- It will also send you an email with a confirmation of both – start and end event of the unlock time.
- How many doors can I add to the google calendar integration?
- You can only add 1 door to an integration. If more than 1 door has to stay open during an event you have to create a separate integration.
- How exact is the unlock timer?
- Kisi integration is fetching information from Google every hour on the hour. That means you have to make sure to create the unlock event before the hour, otherwise it will just unlock after the next fetching cycle but lock again at the scheduled time if that wasn’t changed.
- You can disable the unlock timer immediately by going to Settings, Integrations and selecting the three little dots and clicking disable.
- With which controllers does the door timer work?
- The Kisi Google Calendar door timer works with both Pro and Lite controllers, however cannot be used with a bi-stable relay.
- How secure is the unlock timer?
- The unlock timer is as secure as the access to your Google calendar is. Make sure to enable Two Factor Authentication in your Google environment to prevent abuse.
- Does the timer work for on-off events and scheduled repeating events?
- All events on the calendar will trigger an unlock for the event duration.
- If I share the calendar with someone can that person create events that trigger the door?
- Yes, that’s why we urge you to be cautious with this powerful feature.
- Why does my integration show it ends before the date I set in the events?
- The integration will only show one week in advance.