What is Google Apps for Work?
Google Apps for Work is an office suite of apps including Gmail, Docs, Drive, and Calendar to connect the people in your company, no matter where in the world they are.
How does the Kisi + Google Apps integration work?
If your organization uses Google Apps for Work (G Suite), you can use the Kisi + Google Apps integration to keep your Kisi groups access directory up to date. With this integration, your Google Apps directory will sync to Kisi every 5 minutes.
Note: This integration requires a set up using groups. Kisi groups being synced with the Google Integration shouldn’t be used to add manual users. You can set up separate groups to have the ability to sync and add one-off employees on an as-needed basis.
Enable the Kisi + Google Apps integration
Note: To be able to set this integration up, you’ll have to have the correct permissions in Google called “Google Admin Privileges”. Also, this integration needs to be set up using the Kisi master account, essentially the login you used to create the place.
- Log in with your master Kisi account, then click on the place and go to Settings > Integrations.
- Click on Add Integration, give it a descriptive name and select Google Directory User Import from the dropdown.
- Click on Authorize with Google and you’ll be redirected to the Google Authentication screen.
- Authenticate with your Google Account that has admin privileges.
- Allow the integration to “view users on your domain” and “view organizational units on your domain”.
The following is the most critical step – mapping the google organizational unit to the Kisi group. Please be aware that once you hit “save” this configuration is set up immediately and access is being shared to everyone in this organizational unit.
- Select the “Organizational Unit” on the Google Apps side – this will be the source of the access permissions that are synchronized with Kisi. **Note** - The organizational unit needs to be a sub-organization. If you have not created one, you will need to do so.
- Select the “Group Name” of the Kisi group you want the credentials being synchronized with. If there is no Group set up yet, click on “Groups” and create one.
If you are sure that everything looks good:
- Press “share” and everyone in the Google Group will get an email notification that Kisi access has been shared with them.
- Can automatically synchronized members be deleted?
- Currently, the access right of a synchronized member can be deleted, however, if the member is the deleted it will be synchronized back with full access. We are working on making this experience more consistent.
- How does the information exchange between Google Directory and Kisi work?
Information is pulled from Kisi every 15 minutes, eventually we'll add receiving push updates
- How many Google Directory Integrations can I add?
Since companies might have more complex organizational setups we can technically allow unlimited integrations however it depends on your plan level how many you can actually create.
- Do I have to create an extra integration for each organizational unit?
Yes, every organizational unit needs their own integration.
- How fast does the integration synchronize?
Kisi fetches the status of the Google directory once an hour but we will soon implement a faster sync, once every 10 minutes.
- If the integration is deleted, are all keys revoked?
All shares will be deleted, but the user profiles remain. That means they can’t access using those credentials anymore, but still can log in their app. They might see an empty screen then though.