This content is being deprecated.
Please see our new Kisi Docs portal at docs.kisi.io
Relevant section: Assign third-party NFC credentials with an Android device
Assigning third-party NFC cards can be done on the Kisi Android app or at a Kisi Reader. This article focuses on using the Kisi Android app. You must be logged into the Android device with the login credentials belonging to an Administrator of your place.
Not all cards are compatible with the Kisi system. Please check that your card specs are compatible. Currently, 125khz cards are not supported.
With Kisi, you can unlock doors with Kisi cards (also known as Kisi Passes), third-party NFC cards, tags or fobs. In this article, we will focus mainly on third-party NFC cards, including public transportation and credit cards. If you have bought cards directly from Kisi (Kisi Passes), you can either add them using the Android app (described below), enroll them at the Kisi Reader, or add their token in the web dashboard (as shown in Adding Cards for Members).
If the card is not a native Kisi card but is still an NFC card, it can most likely be assigned to work with Kisi (although there are some NFC cards that don't have the necessary encryption to be compatible with the Kisi system). When using a third-party card Kisi only reads the card's UID and does not utilize any cryptographic features. To activate third-party cards, they will need to be scanned first.
Enroll Cards with Android Devices
To enroll cards on Android Devices with NFC:
- Open your Kisi Android app
- Click on Settings (cogwheel icon on the upper right-hand corner)
- Navigate to the Cards tab and click on the + sign
- Make sure NFC is turned on and you will see this screen:
- Bring your card to your phone so that the NFC antenna in your device can read your card. Once it's in range, you'll see this screen:
- Enter the user's email address and click Assign
- Once the card is enrolled, you will need to activate it before being used. You can either click the link on the email we send you, or you can click on the cogwheel shown in the card and select Activate this card.
Now you can use your Kisi card/tag/fob! You can also de-assign your card from the screen above.
If your Android device does not have NFC, you will see the message below. You can only add Kisi Passes that have a token printed on them. For that, choose the option Enter manually.
You can also use your camera to scan the QR code on the front of the card: